after i blogged about YouTube and everything the other day i was planning on making the rainbow cupcakes soon. i came home from work on tuesday in such a horrible mood, i was so so so bored! so i decided i’d like to bake or do something that was gonna take up time, so i decided rainbow cupcakes!!
me and Linda went to buy cake ingredients – i spent £20 to make 11 cakes! oops – then came home and started.
125g self raising flour
125g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
3 tbsp milk
red/blue/yellow food colouring
(i found this recipe online)
we made one batch of mix each.
1. pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C and gather your ingredients. combine sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
2. beat in eggs and flour gradually, when all is combined make sure the batter is lump-free!
3. add vanilla essence (i used about one capful), then add the tbsp of milk one at a time, mixing in between.
4. divide the mix evenly into 6 bowls. add the food colouring. Red, orange (yellow and red), yellow, green (yellow and blue), blue and purple (red and blue) on the back of the food colouring gel i bought it told me how many drops of gel i should add to make the colours i needed. BUT i just kind of judged it myself, because the purple was “25 drops of red and 1 blue drop” and it was not purple!
5. put the mix into the cupcake cases, in this order – purple, blue, green, yellow, orange then red. i put about one teaspoon of the mix in.
6. bake in the oven for about 18-22 minutes.
300g icing sugar
100g cocoa powder
5 tbsp evaporated milk
1 tbsp vanilla essence
(the measurements on the website were in cups and i don’t have cups so i used an online converter then just gave up and just made up my own frosting)
1. soften butter and set aside.
2. sieve icing sugar and cocoa butter into another bowl. gradually add the milk and icing/cocoa combination into the butter, and keep folding until a light and fluffy. blend in the vanilla, add more milk or butter if necessary.
When the cupcakes were out i had to make adjustments as they really flowed over the cases. literally 5 cupcakes survived. once they were cooled, i packed the frosting into a piping bag and piped round in circles and then sprinkled some rainbow strands on them.
TADA! So, they were all a bit funny shaped but a few of them worked out nice. the best part was the inside though…
my dad thought they were all different flavours but that wouldn’t be tasty…would it?
making the cupcakes cheered me up immensely, and i think they were food for a first attempt – except for the over flowing cupcakes in the oven, sadface. i took them into work and the kids i work with were all fascinated. i’ll need to make a bigger batch and take them in soon. and one of the girls i work with was telling me she was willing to pay me to make some for her daughters birthday (not that i would take the money, but i could go all “Annie in Bridesmaids” and open my own bakery – or not cos im too lazy…).
so these recipes are off the internet i just really googled “rainbow cupcake recipes” and “chocolate frosting recipe” but i did (like i always do) add and subtract my own ideas and whatever.
i have been a terrible procrastinating girl this morning, i had all the intentions of doing so many chores after my driving lesson and before work. but instead i made myself some fried rice and wrote this blog and watched an old 90210 which i’ve seen plenty of times…oh dear. not productive at all!
i hope the rainbow cupcakes make you smile too